Facial Implant Surgery in Boston
Dr. Brooke R. Seckel
What are facial implants?
Facial implants are synthetic biocompatible devices that are surgically implanted into the face to improve face shape and contour and to reverse facial aging changes. Face implants are most commonly made of silicone although other materials such as porous polyethylene implants made by Medpor® are also used.
Why do people have facial implant procedures?
- To add volume to the aging face
- To correct a flat face by adding shape to the cheek bones
- To have high cheek bones
- To lift the cheeks for anti-aging
- To enhance or enlarge the chin
- To lengthen the jaw line
- To improve the jowls
- To correct the tear trough, a deep depression running from the corner of the nose out to the side of the cheek
- To improve overall face shape
Where are implants placed in the face?
Facial implants are most commonly used in the face in the following regions:
- Chin implant to lengthen the jaw line, improve the jowls and enlarge the chin.
- Cheek implants or zygomatic implant to make the high cheek bone appearance, restore volume to the mid face, to lift the cheek and to lessen the nasal labial fold.
- Jaw implants or mandibular implants to widen and lengthen the narrow jaw and improve jowling.
- Tear trough implants to fill the tear trough a deep depression beneath the lower eyelid that runs out to side of the cheek making a trough in which tears can flow. Tear trough implants are a solution to the tear trough, but fat injection may also be done. Tear troughs are sometimes mistakenly called dark circles under the eyes which is a different problem.
Are facial implants safe?
Facial implants are safe if placed by a board certified plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Brooke R. Seckel, who is experienced in facial implant and craniofacial surgery. Side effects such as improper placement, asymmetry, or loss of implant can occur but are unusual when an expert does this surgery.
What will I look like after facial implant surgery?
In the beginning you will look swollen and possibly bruised. It will take 2-3 weeks for most of the swelling and bruising to go away.
What is recovery like after facial implants?
Plan a 2-3 week recovery. After face implant surgery there is usually swelling and sometimes bruising. The result of your implant surgery will in the beginning look too large or too noticeable. After 4-6 weeks the most of the swelling is gone and the implant assumes its final shape and size.
When will I see the final result of my facial implant surgery?
It takes time for your face to adjust to the new shape created by your facial implants. Final result following facial implant surgery can take 6 weeks.
What do facial implants cost?
Chin implants can cost as little as $3500-$4500 but complex mid-face cheek implants, jaw implants and tear trough implants can cost as much as $10,000.
Who should do my facial implants?
I suggest a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is experienced in craniofacial and facial implant surgery.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Facial implants can restore balance to the facial features and help you enhance your appearance and self-confidence. If you would like to learn more about facial implants, or other facial rejuvenation procedures such as chin augmentation, eyelid surgery or rhinoplasty, schedule a consultation today by calling 617-455-2859.