Dr. Brooke R. Seckel – Treating Those Seeking Laser Resurfacing in Boston
What is laser skin care, laser resurfacing, laser peel and laser skin rejuvenation?
Laser skin care or laser resurfacing or peel is the use of laser treatments for anti-aging procedures to remove wrinkles, remove brown spots, age spots, sun spots, and tighten skin. Laser treatments make new skin collagen which fills or plumps skin wrinkles and tightens skin. We are the most experienced and best laser skin care physicians in Boston.
What are the different types of laser resurfacing?
Different types of laser skin resurfacing or laser peel have different effects on your skin and different recovery times.
Ablative laser resurfacing actually removes or ablates the surface or superficial skin cells of the epidermis. Your skin will be red immediately after ablative laser resurfacing. Recovery time will be required.
Non ablative laser resurfacing does not remove or ablate surface skin cells thus no recovery time is required. Non ablative resurfacing builds new collagen in the deep skin layer to remove wrinkles and brown spots.
What is fractional laser resurfacing?
Fractional laser skin resurfacing breaks the laser beam up into 100s of small laser beams. This technique leaves small areas of the skin unaffected. Leaving some surface skin cells unaffected speeds recovery. Fractional laser resurfacing can include both fractional ablative and fractional non ablative laser resurfacing.
Combined fractional laser resurfacing is the newest, safest, and most effective laser resurfacing technique. Combined fractional laser resurfacing combines non-ablative fractional 1540 erbium laser resurfacing and ablative fractional 2940 erbium laser resurfacing into one treatment. Advantages of combined laser resurfacing are:
- More complete facial skin rejuvenation
- Quicker healing and recovery usually 4-5 days
- No pigment loss or hypo pigmentation thus combined fractional laser resurfacing can be done on darker skin individuals
What is the best laser for skin anti-aging or rejuvenation?
A laser for skin rejuvenation or anti-aging is only as good as the physician or operator who is using the laser. The best skin rejuvenation lasers are:
- Fractional lasers are best. Healing is quicker and complications are less likely with fractional lasers.
- Fractional Erbium laser resurfacing is best. Fractional erbium resurfacing allows quicker healing and is less likely to cause pigment loss and healing problems. Fractional Erbium lasers are:
- Cynosure® Palomar® Lux1540 fractional Erbium non ablative
- Cynosure® Palomar® Lux 2940 fractional Erbium laser ablative
- Cynosure® Affirm 1440 and 1320 fractional Erbium laser non ablative
- Sciton® ProFractional 2940 Erbium laser ablative micro peel
- Sciton® Thermascan 1319 fractional Erbium non ablative
- Fraxel® Refine 1410 fractional Erbium laser non ablative
- Cutera® Pearl Fractional 2790 fractional Erbium ablative
- Cutera® Laser Genesis 1064Nd: Yag non fractional non ablative non erbium, but included here as a non-ablative device used for similar application.
- Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing can achieve excellent results but requires more skill and experience to use and recovery can be longer. Fractional CO2 ablative lasers are:
- Lumenis® Ultrapulse Fractional CO2 ablative
- Fraxel® Repair fractional CO2 fractional ablative
- Pixel®CO2 fractional CO2 fractional ablative
Are laser skin treatments safe?
Yes, if performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with laser training. In Massachusetts, well-trained nurses and medical aestheticians are allowed to do non-ablative laser skin rejuvenation procedures under doctor supervision. Eye safety is crucial. Eye shields and laser protective glasses must be worn.
What does laser resurfacing and laser treatments cost?
Combined fractional laser resurfacing can cost $3500-$4000. Non-ablative laser skin resurfacing requires at least four sessions and prices are $250-$500 per session depending on size treated.
What is recovery like after laser skin treatment or resurfacing?
No recovery is required for non-ablative fractional laser resurfacing. Fractional ablative erbium resurfacing requires 5-7 days for the skin to heal. During healing you will use wet soaks and comforting ointment on your skin.
When will I see my final laser treatment or resurfacing result?
You will see early improvement, but final results take 6 months to 1 year.
Who should do my laser treatment or resurfacing?
Ablative laser resurfacing should only be performed an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with laser training. Non-ablative fractional laser resurfacing can be performed by a laser trained nurse or medical aesthetician in Massachusetts.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Dr. Brooke Seckel is pleased to offer a range of non-surgical cosmetic treatments to help patients achieve a more youthful, attractive experience. If you would like to learn more about these treatments, including laser skin resurfacing, hand rejuvenation, skin tightening or Botox in Boston, schedule a consultation today by calling 617-455-2859.